Tuesday, May 1, 2007

I love Ice Cream. Just like my Gangy.

I broke the seals on two new flavors recently released by Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream. It isn't uncommon for me to rush out and try new flavors when they are available at my local store. It was in these few moments that I remembered a fond memory of my father and grandfather. It seems just like yesterday that I can remember loading up in my fathers Suburban and heading over to pick up my grandfather so that us guys could get our fill of homemade ice cream at Cubby's. It wasn't unusual for my grandfather to eat ice cream throughout the day. My grandmother was great about it, because she figured what can it hurt a ninety year old man to have some ice cream. I agree and hope that who ever is taking care of me at that point will keep that in mind when I raid the freezer for a fresh pint. My grandfather suffered from Alzheimer's in his late years. The only good thing that ever came out of it was his inability to remember if he consumed more than the recommended amount of ice cream for a human in one day. It was this lapse in memory that secured him another spoon and dish full of our favorite treat. My fathers taste buds leaned towards famous flavors like butter pecan and caramel cashew. I tended to experiment with a mixture of coconut, chocolate and a few toppings to build my ultimate sundae. My grandfather was fine with whatever you set in front of him, but being a traditionalist when it came to the frozen stuff, I think he just preferred vanilla. I don't know what caused somebody to try and freeze flavored cream, but I know it has added a dimension to my memories that I will never forget. So thank you ice cream crusaders. So to celebrate my excitement, please go out and pick yourself up a pint at the grocery, or stop in your local dippery and have a nice big cone for me, my father, and especially Gangy!

Baskin Robbins
Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream
Blue Bell
Cold Stone Creamery

2 comments:

Tracy said...

You know, those are good Gangy memories and I think of all desserts, ice cream is also my favorite. Hmmm, favorites at BR are Jamoca Almond Fudge and Chocolate Chip....B&J, whatever the Dilbert one was...I don't think they have it anymore and also, Chubby Hubby.

But, Gangy was right, a good bowl of vanilla would suit me just fine.

Anonymous said...

Blue Bell Vanilla, Red Skin Peanuts and Chocolate Syrup - real classic !!!