Friday, May 11, 2007

Cell phone carriers are unlike any other company.

I was hopeing to get a little information about everyones cell phone service. Its funny how cell service is one of those things that can still hold you prisoner with things like two-year contracts and expensive equipment without service sign-up. I wish cell phone companies had to compete the same way many other services do in our lives. Who would have there oil changed if they had to sign a contract and get there oil changed from the same place all year, or if you didn't opt to sign-up then the oil was $18.00 per quart. Or better yet, buy a new Saturn for $3000, with a contract to buy all your cars and service from us for the next 10 years. If you opt out, the Saturn is $91,000. I would prefer that all cell phones would be sold like phones for the house. You go into a store and pick out a model from all the different choices, you then could choose a carrier that offers features that you like ( this would drive new technologies) and sign-up over the phone. The cost on the phones would be regulated and discounted the same way plasma tv's, and dvd players. I enjoy changing phones when new technologies fit my needs but I can't do it as often as I would like because of contracts. This really URKS me!!

In addition please leave a quick response in the comment line about the quality of your service and the typical monthly charge for your service.

Have a great day.......

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Well, as you already know, I am a die-hard Sprint subscriber.....I have unlimited text messaging and I pay around $75 a month.

I use my cell phone alot ... and I have no awareness of the time of day when I use it. If I want to call someone, I call them.

I could probably get something cheaper....but every time I had changed in the past, cheaper always ended up being LESS in many more ways....so now I am dedicated to Sprint....no plans to change.

Unknown said...

I've been with AT&T, Cingular, AT&T for years and years. I've read complaints about the coverage, but I rarely have a problem. I was able to use my cell phone in Westcliffe, Colorado (pop. 800) and I was at least 20 miles from town. I have had some problems in North Carolina and I used to have problems using my phone at my sister-in-laws in Massachusetts. It worked in every part of town except her home.

I recently went over my bill with a finetooth comb and what a rip-off! The bill was much higher than it should have been (about $700 per month for 5 phones). It turns out that I was being billed $256 for going 459 minutes over the plan, $2.99 for "roadside assistance" on phones that belonged to people who don't drive, $45 for text messages (my "unlimited data" plan apparently doesn't include the data in text messages), $40 for two text message plans (when I could cover all 5 phones with unlimited texting for $29.99), and on and on. In other words, you've got to watch them like a hawk and no one is going to advise you about what to order for the most cost effective service. With one phone call and some changes online, I was probably able to save $300 per month.