Friday, April 20, 2007

Folding....its not just for dough and laundry anymore.



As many of you know I am into podcasting. One of my favorite shows is the Buzz Out Loud CNET podcast. I always run into some pretty interesting things on this show. So I will share with you one of the more interesting finds recently. Everybody has heard of the new Sony Playstation 3 (PS3). Well its a big fancy super fast gaming rig with loads of power. In fact it blows away your computer for any type of gaming. I am proud to say they have found something good to use all that power for, especially when your not using it. Many complicated calculations are needed for different types of research projects. Typically this type of computing power is made up of a bunch of computers working together like one. (hint hint hint) So if you have a PS3 and would like to help out the greater cause, you can! Its called folding. With a built in software tool in the PS3 you can leave the unit on when not playing you favorite game and it will fold its power together with other idle PS3 across the globe to compute problems. It is specifically being used for one such task right now. Most of what I have just mentioned came from the podcast as well as my own personal understanding of folding in the networking world. Here is a quote from the website.



"Our goal is to apply this new technology to push Folding@Home into a new level of capabilities, applying our simulations to further study of protein folding and related diseases, including Alzheimer’s Disease, Huntington's Disease, and certain forms of cancer. With these computational advances, coupled with new simulation methodologies to harness the new techniques, we will be able to address questions previously considered impossible to tackle computationally, and make even greater impacts on our knowledge of folding and folding related diseases."



You can visit this page at: http://folding.stanford.edu/FAQ-PS3.html



What a great way to make a difference.



I will leave you with one last picture. My two plants. I have them in my room next to my computer. I take care of them everyday! Enjoy!

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Folding....hmmm....interesting. I will have to read more about it but I say if it really works people should participate.

Nice plants....I need a small one for my desk.....if I could just clean and find my desk.

trace

JoLynn said...

Sounds like a new way for hackers to steal from you! Love the plants, though.