Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Aquariums.....yeah there pretty addicting.

As some of you may know I have reenlisted myself into the wild world of hobby aquariums. I remember having a 10gl tank in my room when I was quite young. It eventually turned into an opaque green box of water, I even think there was a hardy angel fish that survived all the new found fungus. Since then I have been the proud owner of a few tanks. I started with a 6gl eclipse which was setup in my venture to Charleston SC during culinary school with my sister Tracy. We had an unusually good spot for the tank in the apartment and enjoyed having the fish for company. But as usual I didn't embrace what the fish really brought and never was able to keep the tank at tip top shape. I moved around with that tank and eventually went for a new try while visiting with a stay at my parents house. I finally realized during the first 6 months of having the tank established that possibly the tank wasn't handling the load of fish that it really should be able too. So I moved to a larger tank. I have taken the plunge and have a 20gl Long with a Marineland Penguin 150 filter that is capable of filtering a lot of water. I have been up and running for a few months and I have loaded it up with fish. It looks great and I love having the fish to take care of. I will be posting some pictures of it soon. If you remember in my last blog I referred to meeting people at work with all types of interest. My boss and several other employees are big fish heads. The guy running the place has a 12gl nano reef tank in his office. So I have enjoyed talking with friends at work about the hobby. I have also decided that it is time for me to dive head first into the nano reef aquarium world. They have made many advances since the first days of saltwater aquariums. FYI: nano reefs are typically tanks from 2-24gl that contain mainly corals and other reef type inhabitants. I will keep you posted on this new venture. If you are interested in the hobby you should check out the many forums and websites available on the web. Liveaquaria.com is a great place to see all the different specimens you can order.

I have finally reached the Nano - Video dilemma. No not fish tanks! Ipod. I had started with an iPod Nano last year to see if I would enjoy using this little mp3 player. Well I have fully embraced the fun of having one and now need more room. My Nano holds 4gb of info right now, and I have over 10gb of stuff on my iTunes. As many might comment, no I don't need everything with me at the same time. The problem is that it is very difficult to pick what mood of music or other content you are into prior to being in that moment. So I would prefer to just carry everything with me. So my Nano is currently for sale on Ebay. I will be buying a used Video model with 30gb. Due to Ebay I will be making the move with very little money out of pocket. I love Ebay. Plus, I'm recycling! Oh and on one last note. I have decided that when I can order my new iPod Video, I will be going with a black model. I don't know why but I have decided I want to step away from the norm and go black.......black Apple. Hmm. I'll keep you up to date.

Thank you for reading and check back soon.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

It sounds like I am going into the world of aquariums soon too. ::wink:: I did like the set-up we had in Charleston even though we didn't make it all it could be. I'll be able to see your 20 gal set-up in a few months.

Good luck with the iPod sale and upgrade....I love mine.

I'm very glad you are back blogging.

JoLynn said...

I must say - once you go black, you never go back. My ipod is black and I love it except all the accessories are white.

Love you!