Wednesday, May 3, 2006

Windsurfing gear easy to sell..........Bad keyboard not easy to sell.....

I posted a couple of ads in the classifieds for some things that I have acquired over the years that are taking up space in my storage building. The first items to go was windsurfing gear that included 2 boards, 6 sails , 2 handles, and 1 mast. The funny thing was the gentleman that purchased the items wasn't a windsurfer at all, he was going to use the boards to work on a "craft" that he had patented for fishing. He was going to attach pontoons to the sides of the board and install a trolling motor for power. He said this setup enabled a person to stand on the board at any location and fish off the end. The flotation of the unit allowed you to enter very shallow water areas. The funny thing was the following day after selling the stuff, another person from Sarasota called before I could get the paper changed to indicate sold. Guess what?....this guy wanted to buy the boards to cut in half and use as pontoons on his canoe. What's the deal with people buying windsurfing boards to destroy them. I'm sure there are windsurfers around the world cringing at such a thought. Good luck to those fearless ocean bound men, I hope they have much luck with there first sails.

The next item up for sale was an 88 key Roland keyboard. This thing is a monster. I think the item is pretty old but has lots of buttons, lights, displays and other gadgets. Everything on it seems to run fairly well. The only problem is that when played the sound from the speakers sort of lingers on fuzzy after the key is released. Only a couple of bites but no takers. I spoke with a Roland keyboard dealer in Ft Myers who asked me to bring down to look at. I thought this might be the only way to sell it, fix it. So I rumbled down to Ft Myers this afternoon burning the $3.15 gas in my Landies' thirsty tank. To no luck though, the first words out of the techs mouth when we fired it up was "I can't fix this, sounds like a D/A problem. Parts probably aren't available and if they are your talking some bucks." Great news. So I loaded the behemoth back in the Landie and headed back to P.G. On the way home I was contemplating calling up my fearless sea goers and see if they were interested in a very sophisticated anchor. But instead I think I'll throw it in the river myself. (not to worry...its really going to go to the appropriate land fill.) So I don't recommend investing in any ancient Roland keyboards anytime soon. Until next time. Over and out.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

It is amazing what some people consider treasures and why.

I sold a printer once on half.com and it worked but did not have the print cartridge carriage…..I thought I wouldn’t get anything for it but some guy payed $25 and I shipped it to the east coast somewhere. He had the print cartridge carrier and his printer was broke…..crazy.

JoLynn said...

I love it! Glad to see you posting.

Anonymous said...

Oh God, another one to read.