Friday, May 5, 2006

Geocaching? Anybody up for a modern day scavenger hunt?

I was playing around the other day on my google homepage when I noticed a topic at the bottom about geocaching. I had heard of this new activity quite some time ago, but never really looked into trying one out. I guess it is a cross between modern day treasure hunting and scavenger hunts. Its pretty popular all over the country (maybe world), I confirmed this after checking on my area of megaopolis Punta Gorda which in fact had several available geocache sites to hit up. I think it works like this. You need a GPS unit, some mode of transportation depending on how far your GPS unit indicates the distance to the cache is, and some time to look. I think there have been some advancements to the game in order to keep the interest of long time geocachers. I haven't researched all of it yet so I can't give to much more info on the more advanced games. So after you reach your destination you search for the object that is cached. From the descriptions I have read you may find a container where you leave your name and any other info after finding the cache. Some of these caches have items left by people who have found the cache. You then may leave an item if you would like or take an item to another cache. Some of these people have a trademark item they leave at all the caches to indicate they have been there, that way when someone finds a cache with your object in it they recognize you have been there. One of the informative and needed sites for this is : http://www.geocaching.com/ I also found a lot of info from: http://www.wikihow.com/Go-Geocaching The neat thing is a lot of people already have GPS units and if you don't you can find one for geocaching for less than a hundred bucks. I think this would be a really fun outing for a group in a new area, it might get you into some of the undiscovered areas of that city. I plan on trying my first before long and I'll update you with how it went. Anyways if you feel adventurous get out there and cache something. Who knows you might just like it. Cordially, Joe :)

2 comments:

Tracy said...

I totally want to do this one day while I am there....do you have a GPS unit ?? You do, right ?? Let's plan to do your first one while I am there....we'll leave a 'brontosaurus' as our token item.

On another note, there was an episode of Crossing Jordan where the murder of someone revolved around them be geocache players....that was the first I had heard of it. I'll keep an eye out for the re-run and let you know.

JoLynn said...

I think we need to do some geocaching on the "Three Siblings on the Super Slab" vacation! I have a GPS.